Monday, January 4, 2016

On The Mend

He reached up
With two fingers to gently scratch his nose.

He rubbed his eyes softly.

He realizes there is an opening on the bottom of the bed so he scoots himself down and throws his legs over the side in an attempt to get up and out the bed.

Jason is moving. A lot more than he had a few weeks back when he was basically sedated down to a warm body in a bed. He is moving around in calculated ways. Showing problem solving in ways you and I take for granted. In a previous post I told you about how I look upon the doctors and therapist and hold back my eyerolls on how happily they praise the way he blinks. But now after educating myself a little I understand. Jason, behind all the meds we are peeling back one by one is coming back as Jason. They recognize the signs of "bizarro-Jason" brain damage and brain injury would produce and their excited talk and bright eyes are because they don't see that. Jason is doing what a normal person coming off of meds or coming out of illness would do, and THAT is what makes them so optimistic. I have my nightmares and my imagination to fuel what my expectations of what Jason will be underneath all the meds will be. But these are professionals. They know exactly what to look for and they don't see bad stuff. They don't see a degenerated individual. They see something better. They see My Life. They see him coming back as MY Jason.

2 comments: