Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Pinocchio Into a Real Boy

Amidst all the good news comes the bad. The horrible fucking news that comes from dealing with hospitals. 6 weeks is a long time to be sick and as insurance goes, hospitals better show signs of improvement or they will start getting funds cut. Jason is unpredictable. He tries to climb out of bed, he bites his tongue until it turns purple and bleeds, he sits up and leans forward. These are all things that makes him a prime suspect to be watched by a hawk 24/7. The problem is I have done that. And because he is my son, because I don't want to see anything happen to him I intercept before anything happens and tell the story second hand. I don't have the heart or the ability to let him go thru with hurting himself, and they don't watch closely enough to catch it. So if it is not as obvious as blood Pressure recordings or a ventilator being shrugged out, or if I don't leave enough blood on his teeth for them to see "it didn't happen" or its "not recorded".

Jason was put In a regular room. All the monitors with the Las Vegas "Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner" signs off. He has a 1980's DOS looking monitor that gives the classic soap opera heart beat. He is by the window, his neighbor next to him by the door with his curtain drawn and 8 people boisterous talking in this 20x20 room.

This is how they show rehab he is ready to go. This is how they put my son in danger. They lower his bed as low as it can go "in case he falls" this is their action plan. Instead of keeping him safe, they move him to a regular room with a regular patient to try to pass him off as a real boy. He stares of catatonic here for hours with no one scheduled to check to see if he is ok, if he is biting his tongue of he is trying to get out of bed. I'm here doing that. I and his grandmas are here making sure. But they don't put that in his medical record. They play it off like he is well enough and don't mention the little elves helping him along. I want to sue this hospital for all the mental anguish they have put me through. I want to sue for every time they had me here working like a fool to fix every mistake. I want to sue on the premise that if they even attempted slightly to be better at watching people (which would have avoided Jason breaking his teeth and shrugging out his ventilator), following thru on tasks (which would have had Jason's Botox done before he grinded his teeth) my son would have less complications.

But I am supposed to accept this crazy place because this is the "medical system", it is what it is.

It's fucking bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment